Day 12 of the 25 Days of NSHC Christmas is all about Communication! This blog will teach you how to identify your communication style and give you a leg-up when trying to identify the communication style of others!
Ask yourself these two questions:
- Am I “direct” or “indirect” in my communication when engaging another?
- Do I convey a “supportive” position when listening to another person?
What is Direct vs. Indirect communication?
- Expresses opinions
- Faster, louder speech
- Slower, quieter speech
What is Supporting vs. Controlling communication?
- Supporting (People-Oriented)
- Shares personal feelings
- Informal speech
- Contact oriented
- Active facial expressions
- Controlling (Task-Oriented)
- Limited sharing of personal feelings
- More formal speech
- Non-contact preferred
- Uses few facial expressions