Last week’s blog focused on the benefits of mindful eating, but it may have left you wondering how you eat ‘mindfully’! Well, here are some tips:
- Minimize distractions and focus on what you are doing
- Express “mindful attitudes” such as joy, gratitude, non-judgment, and patience with yourself
- Pay attention to your cravings to see what you are craving and potentially to determine why
- Set a goal satisfaction BEFORE eating
- Make sure you have correct portion sizes and use smaller plates and silverware, if necessary
- Create several MindfulPauses™ before, during, and after eating*
- Be mindful of your hunger and fullness level before, during, and after eating
- Develop an “I’m done” signal for yourself
Mindful eating is not as complicated as you may think! These few tips can help you give the attention to your eating habits that they deserve, so that your body is getting what it needs to be healthy!
*What are MindfulPauses™ you may ask? This is the practice of taking yourself off autopilot and being truly mindful of your activity, your body, and your mind. Stop, relax, breathe and be mindful!
Miller, C. & Huffman, M. (2013). Evidence-based Health Coaching for Healthcare Providers Program Manual (3rd